Smart Cities Round 3 Contest – 27 New Cities Include Kanpur, Amritsar & Modi’s Varanasi
Minister of Urban Development, Venkaiah Naidu on Tuesday has declared 27 new cities to be included under the smart city project.
Including Prime Minister’s Lok Sabha parliamentary region Varanasi, 27 new cities are to be developed as per the government’s smart city project.
These 27 cities were selected out of 63 cities via a three level contest.
- Three cities from Uttar Pradesh have been chosen Keeping in account the Vidhan Sabha Elections to be held in Uttar Pradesh the next year.
- Vadodara, Nagpur, Agra, Ajmer, Amritsar, Thane, Gwalior and Thanjavur have been chosen for the smart cities project.
- Urban Development Ministry has chosen 60 cities until now for the smart cities project.
- In the first year, central government will provide a loan of 200 crores to each of the cities included in the project.
- In total, Rs 66, 0883 Crores will be spent over these 27 cities as per the project.
- 42, 524 Crores will be spent as per region based development, where as 11, 378 crores will be spent on the business based development.